The Union Township Historical Society will host two open houses in January at the Caldwell Parsonage Museum. The first will be held on Sunday, January 14; the second on Sunday, January 28–both from 2 until 5. Admission is free and refreshments will be served.
The original parsonage, a single-story saltbox-style home, was built in 1730, along with the Connecticut Farms Presbyterian Church. Rev. James Caldwell; his wife, Hannah; and their nine children moved there after the First Presbyterian Church in Elizabethtown and its Parsonage were burned by the British in January 1780. Known as the “Fighting Parson,” Caldwell served as Commissary Officer (Quartermaster) obtaining supplies and horses—for George Washington’s army. He was also Chaplain of the New Jersey militia
As British and Hessian forces retreated from the Battle of Connecticut Farms on June 7, 1780, Mrs. Caldwell and two of her children, along with a nurse and a housekeeper sought safety in the back bedroom of the Caldwell Parsonage. But Hannah was shot and killed through the single window of that room by one of the troops. Did the soldier think Mrs. Caldwell was a sniper? Was it an accident? Was she targeted as the wife of the minister who preached revolution from his pulpit? Nevertheless, her death is commemorated on the Seal of the County of Union.
Both Connecticut Farms Presbyterian Church and the Caldwell Parsonage were burned by the British. Both were rebuilt by the congregation soon after.
Because the house and its contents were looted and destroyed, the museum today holds none of the family’s belongings. The Union Township Historical Society displays artifacts relating to the American Revolution and others pertaining to Union families, locations, and events.
For more information on these events click here.