Alexander Hamilton Marker


The Americans continued their retreat from Elizabeth, through Rahway and Woodbridge to New Brunswick. This plaque (one of many erected throughout New Jersey to commemorate actions during the Revolution) was placed on Old Queens Campus. It marks the stand taken by Alexander Hamilton and his artillerymen atop the bluffs overlooking the Raritan River to delay the advance of General Cornwallis on December 1, 1776. His battery of cannon trained on the fording place held back the British advance on New Brunswick long enough for the remnants of Washington’s battered army to decamp and continue their retreat through Princeton to Trenton and across the Delaware River to safety in Pennsylvania.


WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann