150 W. Main Street, Freehold, NJ 07728
Hours: May thru September, Fri thru Sunday 1 PM – 4 PM
The farmhouse, located in Freehold and built by Elizabeth and William Covenhoven in 1752, was occupied by British Commander-in-Chief Henry Clinton prior to the Battle of Monmouth in 1778.
William A. Covenhoven and wife Elizabeth Van Cleaf reflected their inherited wealth through the acquisition of land and the construction of an impressive home. Among the house’s interior appointments are finely detailed paneling on all major fireplace walls, cupboards with glazed doors and carved shell bonnets and painted woodwork decoration in the master bedroom.