Joshua Huddy Park

Joshua-Huddy-Park-CMYK-1024x683-300x200On February 1, 1782 Captain Joshua Huddy was given command of a small fort near the village of Dover on Toms River to protect the village and a local salt works. On March 24, a band of 120 Loyalists from new York and New Jersey destroyed the fort, the village, and the salt works, and captured Captain Huddy. Huddy’s execution without trial was approved by the Royal Governor of New Jersey, William Franklin. When Captain Huddy’s body was found on the beach of Sandy Hook on April 13th, the resulting outrage nearly threatened the Paris Peace talks. A park was erected in 1931 which includes a replica blockhouse and a memorial of Captain Huddy and his men.



WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann