Steuben House State Historic Site

GW PhotoGeneral Washington used this home as his headquarters September 4-20, 1780 during the encampment of the Continental Army at Steenrapie (now River Edge)  Following the war, New Jersey confiscated the war damaged house which belonged to Loyalist Jan Zapriskie, and presented it to Major General von Steuben in 1783.  Von Steuben sold it back to the Zabriskies six years later.

Tags:

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann