Built in 1728 by Peter Bodine, this house is the older of two remaining buildings from the colonial port of Raritan Landing. In the 1890’s, it was purchased by entrepreneur George Metlar, who made the house his residence. Currently, historical artifacts, documents and exhibits are preserved in the house, which also doubles as a museum. The centerpiece of the collection is a wall preserved from Ross Hall, where George Washington celebrated Independence Day in 1778. From July 1st to the 7th of that year, General Washington and 11,000 Continental soldiers camped on the banks of the Raritan. Though Ross Hall no longer stands, the remnants of that time period are preserved at the Metlar House.