The William Trent House stands at the highest navigable point of the Delaware River and is registered as a National Historic Landmark. William Trent, a Philadelphia businessman, chose this strategic site for his house in 1719, and its location made it the scene of numerous history-making events during the Revolution. Here, the miserable remants of Washington’s army, retreating from the British, crossed the Delaware to the safety of Pennsylvania’s shores December 7, 1776. Three weeks later they returned to fight the two Battles of Trenton. Here in September 1781, Count Rochambeau’s magnificent French army was ferried across the river, immediately followed by American forces, all en route to Yorktown and a victorious battle at which the British surrendered.