Whitall House/ Red Bank Battlefield
National Park, NJ 08063 United States 856 853-5120 http://www.gloucestercountynj.gov/depts/p/parks/parkgolf/redbank/default.asp
In 1748, Quakers Ann and James Whitall established a 400-acre plantation at Red Bank along the Delaware River. This bustling plantation included fruit orchards, a lumberyard, a shad fishery, livestock and a ferry. Together, Ann and James raised nine children who worked the plantation alongside dozens of indentured servants hailing from Ireland, the Netherlands, and Germany.
In 1777, the American Revolution interrupted life at Red Bank when American forces constructed For Mercer next to the Whitall House. On October 22, 1777, Colonel Christopher Green’s Rhode Island Regiment inflicted heavy losses on Hessian soldiers and the Whitall home served as a field hospital. Hundreds of Hessian soldiers lost their lives in the battle and were buried just north of the house. The Whitall family never forgave the American forces for the devastation they inflicted on their beloved property.
One Sunday a month, the House and Fort offer special programs focusing on an aspect of the park’s history. Ever wonder how people made clothes in the 1700″s? What was it like to be a Revolutionary soldier? How did women prepare meals? Why is Fort Mercer so important to Revolutionary history? Heritage Days are always family friendly and filled with great activities for everyone to enjoy.