- This event has passed.
18th Century Jacket Workshop at the Taylor-Butler House
Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 9:00 am - Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 5:00 pm$125 – $150
Based on an extant 18th century “undress” jacket at the V&A, create your own garment that is either historically accurate or a modern version. Either way, it will be a one-of-a-kind piece designed by you! The particular 18th century jacket on which the pattern was based has had an interesting long life, and was updated more than once over an 80 year period. We provide the pattern, instructions, fitting muslin, and construction methods – historical and modern. You bring the fashion fabric, lining, sewing notions, and your ideas.
In the workshop, you will learn:
- pattern fitting and solving fitting issues
- historical hand sewing and construction methods
- trim options depending on your preference and purpose
- adapting to a different decade – whether 18th or 21st century
- how to make the design your own creation
For the workshop, you will need:
- 2-3 yards of the fashion fabric depending on fabric width and size. Suggested fabrics are: silk, wool, cotton, or linen. They can be based on period images or reproduction fabrics or a fabric for a modern garment.
- Appropriate hand sewing thread, wax, and needles OR a portable sewing machine and extension cord if using modern construction methods.
- A marking pen/pencil.
- Large scissors and small scissors.
- Measuring tape and/or ruler.
- Optional – sewing light for extra light.
- Whatever undergarments you plan on wearing under the jacket. These can be 18th century period garments, such as shift, STAYS, and petticoats, with optional panniers or bum roll/pad. If you are planning on a modern jacket, wear appropriate undergarments and shirt/blouse.
- A sense of humor and a love for learning!
We will be discussing the differences of the 18th century jacket as it changed over the century and the various fabrics that were used. The workshop will be held from 9am-5pm on Saturday, June 15, 2019, to Sunday, June 16, 2019, at the Taylor-Butler House, 127 Kings Highway, Middletown, NJ. Lunch is included on both days. and, optionally, join us for a fire pit dinner on Saturday night to get to know the other workshop participants and work on homework for Sunday. Pricing for the workshop is $125 for members, $150 for non-members, and $20 for the optional Saturday evening dinner.
Tours of Taylor-Butler House and its adjacent Marlpit Hall will be available for workshop participants.
Please contact us with any questions you may have!