- This event has passed.
Schuyler-Hamilton House Open Sunday
Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 1:00 pm on Sunday, repeating until Sunday, March 29, 2020
The Schuyler-Hamilton House is open Sunday afternoons between 1:00-4:00 p.m. with the exception of the first Sunday of the month October- April, when they host the Morristown DAR chapter meetings. Tours may be arranged. Information is available by calling (973) 539-7502.
The Schuyler-Hamilton House, also known as the Jabez Campfield House, was built in 1760 on the eastern edge of the small village of Morristown, N. J.
In 1765 it was purchased by a young doctor from Newark. He and his bride, Sarah Ward, lived in the house for fifty six years. Here their only child, William, was born. He too graduated as a doctor from Princeton and practiced in Morristown. The family lived in this attractive four bedroom, Georgian style house until 1821.
Dr. Jabez Campfield served as a surgeon during the Revolutionary War. Following the war he became a prominent community leader serving as the first Morris County Surrogate, the founder of the first lending library, a Justice of the Peace and engaged in many other notable activities.
During the winter of 1779-80 Dr. Campfield’s house served as the home for Dr. John Cochran, who was assigned to General Washington. Dr. Cochran’s wife was the sister of General Philip Schuyler. Mrs Cochran knew her niece, Elizabeth (Betsy) Schuyler, had met Alexander Hamilton during the summer of 1779 and she had been very impressed by him. Therefore, when Mrs. Cochran became aware that Alexander Hamilton was stationed at General Washington’s Headquarters, which were located only a short quarter of a mile east of the of the Campfield house, she invited Elizabeth to spend the winter with her.
Very quickly Alex and Betsy began courting, often in the Campfield House. By April they had reached an “understanding.” They were married in Albany, NY at Betsy’s home in December 1780.
This Colonial House was bought by the Morristown Chapter of the DAR in 1923. The membership decided to name their new Chapter House in honor of Betsy and Alexander, hence the name Schuyler-Hamilton House.
For more information click here.