In 1727, Robert Newell purchased 30 acres (12 ha), including the site of the house. In 1749, Thomas Davis purchased 130 acres (53 ha), including the house, from Newell. By 1755, the house is expanded. In 1762, Thomas Davis sells the house to his son, Moses Davis, who later operates it as a tavern. In 1777, the tavern was sold to Daniel Herbert.

During the American Revolutionary War, it was George Washington’s Headquarters. Here, on June 30, 1778, Washington started the court-martial of General Charles Lee, for his actions during the Battle of Monmouth.

In 1978, it was sold to the Battleground Historical Society.


Main St & Water St, Englishtown, NJ 07726

Related Stories