DAR Van Bunschooten Museum
Wantage, NJ 07461 United States 973-875-7634 https://www.njdar.org/van_bunschooten.html
The main house was originally constructed in 1787 for the Reverend Elias Van Bunschooten, who served the Dutch Reformed Church for 40 years. The Van Bunschooten Museum has remained true to its origins, despite four or five changes of ownership, and numerous tenants. Electricity, plumbing, and heat have been the only modern additions.
In 1971 the Van Bunschooten house, outbuildings, and six and a half acres were donated to the Chinkchewunska Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution by Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Ramsey. Soon after the acquisition, the Chinkchewunska Chapter began to restore, refurbish, and redecorate the DAR Van Bunschooten Museum. It now serves as the chapter headquarters. The ten rooms are furnished in period antiques, many of which were donated by the original family, and used in the home. Items in the collection span a range from 1787 to 1860, and include clothing, quilts and woven coverlets, furniture, oil paintings, cookware and china, wagons and farm implements.
The museum is listed on the National Register of Historic Sites and Places. All the rooms are filled with period antiques (many belonging to the original family), and all rooms are open for view. The home is situated on six and a half acres of land, and includes several outbuildings including a wagon house containing antique farm equipment and carriages, a Greek Revival privy and an ice house with milk room.
- There were no results found.