This house was the homestead of the Frelinghuysen family, which has long been significant in New Jersey history. The wooden wing was presumably built in the early 18th century and may have been moved to the site by the Middaugh family who owned the property at that time. The main part of the house, originally constructed in 1750 as a one-and-a-half story brick structure, is now a fine example of Georgian architecture with Federal and Greek Revival modifications. It was Gen. John Frelinghuysen who added the second floor to the main section in the early 19th century. Gen. Frelinghuysen was an attorney who served as a Brigadier General during the War of 1812 and was later the Surrogate of Somerset County.

Today the house serves as the Raritan Public Library.


54 E Somerset St, Raritan, NJ 08869