The original block of the Henry Doremus Dutch stone farmhouse was built in c.1760 along a major travel route in colonial New Jersey and was enlarged by the construction of an addition in 1770.
After the battle of Springfield, General George Washington made his headquarters at the Henry Doremus house. Washington stayed at the house June 25-27, with members of his military staff, including Colonel Alexander Hamilton. George Washington’s stay at the house is documented in Washington’s expense account from 1780.
The site has significant original architectural fabric and has never had modern plumbing, wiring, or heating installed.