In 1755, Henry Guest, who had a flourishing tannery somewhere between Commercial Avenue and Schulyer Streets, bought two and a half acres on what would become the corner of Livingston Avenue and New Street in New Brunswick. Five years later, Guest built a sandstone house in which he and his family lived until his death in 1815.
Built in 1760, this house serves as a fine example of Georgian architecture in an urban setting. Over time the Federal style additions, especially the portico, have developed their own architectural significance. The building’s chief importance lies in its association with the Guest family during America’s revolutionary period. Correspondence shows Guest family members on friendly terms with Thomas Paine and John Adams.