Morristown Green, most commonly referred to as the Green, is a historical park located in the center of Morristown, New Jersey, United States. It has an area of two and a half acres and has in the past served as a military base, a militia training ground, and an area for public executions. It is now a public park in which many community events are held. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places, listed as a contributing property of the Morristown District, on October 30, 1973.
During the Revolutionary War, from January to May 1777, the Arnold’s Tavern was George Washington’s headquarters, “while his troops stayed in [locals]’ homes” and/or camped in the Loantaka Valley to the east. By that year, Arnold’s Tavern had “sprouted an extension with a large public hall for dances,” which Washington used to convene councils. The National Park Service claims “Much of [Morris]town’s social, political, and business life was conducted at Arnold’s Tavern” during the Revolutionary era.