The Mount Bethel Baptist Meetinghouse was constructed in 1786. Previously, it was believed that the church was built in 1761 and moved to its current location, or dismantled and partially rebuilt using old framing members, between 1785 and 1786. This was echoed in the original (1975) National Register nomination but revised in a recent amended and expanded nomination currently under review by the Historic Preservation Office (HPO). The church is significant for its associations with the early Baptist population in the Mount Bethel area (what was then Bernards Township). It is also significant as a representative example of a late 18th century Baptist church with a meetinghouse plan.