Originally built as a farm house, this building was designated a “Yaugh” house during Colonial times when it became common practice to offer homes as shelter for travelers. The farm was considered a self-sufficient plantation with animals and a blacksmith shop. The flood plain, between the house and river, provided rich land for farming. Slaves were kept by the various owners to help with the work.

The original section, built before 1750, was removed in 1917. In 1984 due to structural problems, the National Park Service did extensive stabilization and restoration to the building.

The area played an important part during the French and Indian War and during the American Revolution. Referred to by General George Washington as the frontier, the area supported a series of block houses and forts to protect the citizens against Indian attack. Located nearby is the site of Fort Shapanack.


Old Mine Rd, Layton, NJ 07851