The Van Horne House probably dates back to the late 18th century. Known as “Phil’s Hill,” the home was named after Phillip Van Horne, a Bridgewater merchant, and was extensively remodeled in the middle decades of the 19th and 20th centuries. It was the site of numerous important events during the Revolutionary War, including the Battle of Bound Brook. The home was used at various times by Generals Lincoln, Stirling, Lee and Cornwallis. The house is owned by Somerset County and operated by the Heritage Trail Association.
This is one of five houses known as the “Five General’s Houses” from the Middlebrook Cantonment of 1778-79.