Diminutive in size, but replete with history, this unpetentious house (now in its third location) was the home of Alexander Douglass, Quarter Master of the Continental Army. Washington used it as his headquarters while the Second Battle of Trenton raged along the nearby Assunpink Creek. Confident he would “bag the old fox” in the morning, Cornwallis delayed his attack on the Americans. Washington convened a council of war with his officers that came up with a bold plan to avoid defeat, by stealing away from Trenton under cover of darkness. With a guide they marched along local roads taking a roundabout route to Princeton. These events set the scene for the Battle of Princeton on January 3, 1777.