Buccleuch Mansion – New Brunswick, NJ
Buccleuch Mansion with its commanding view of the Raritan River Valley was built in 1739 by Anthony White.”, son-in-law of Royal Govenor Lewis Morris, and was known then as the “White House.” Ownership passed to William Burton, a British general, and his fellow officers were quartered here duing the British occupation of New Brunswick, 1776-1777. Later the State of New Jersey confiscated it from its Loyalist owner. The name Buccleuch (pronounced Buck-loo) given by a later owner, Col. Joseph W. Scott, goes back to the estate of his Scottish ancestors. Scott’s grandson deeded the mansion and surrounding 83 acres to the City of New Brunswick and it is maintained as a house musuem by the Jersey Blue Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.