The new Pokemon Go app, part of the very popular Pokemon series of games, has kids and adults alike traveling to New Jersey historic sites and landmarks to catch Pokemon at “pokestops” and do battle at strategically placed “gyms.” Check out the photos from historic sites and the special Pokemon you can find there!
- The Old Barracks Museum, Trenton
- Washington Crossing State Park, Titusville
- The Jacobus Vanderveer House, Bedminster
- East Jersey Old Town Village, Piscataway
- The Van Riper-Hopper House, Wayne
- Morristown Green, Morristown
- The Drake House Museum, Plainfield
- Princeton Battlefield State Park, Princeton
- Liberty Hall Museum, Union (visit their Facebook page for Pokemon Go events and advance notice on lures!)
- The Dey Mansion, Wayne
Historic Lambertville is a host to gyms where players can go to battle for special badges.
As always, when visiting these historic sites, please follow the rules set by the management and stay safe by watching where you walk and keeping your Pokemon search to public areas.
Plan your hunt with this interactive map of New Jersey sites (NJ.com)
For more information on how Pokémon Go is helping sites and how you can get involved:
Pokemon Go Attracting Players to NJ Historic Sites (NJ101.5.com)
People in Search of Pokemon May Help Business (Atlanticville News)
Pokémon Go is Actually Helping Small Businesses (Business Insider)
Preservation Go: How to Engage Visitors with Pokemon Go (Preservation Maryland)
*For those who would rather not have Pokémon Go users at your site you can click on the following link to have your site removed from the game: https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=341148